Does My Home Insurance Cover My Landscaping?

Does home insurance cover your landscaping?

Anyone who is invested in their home’s landscaping knows just how much time, effort, and money goes into keeping their home’s outdoor spaces looking nice. Naturally, you want to make sure that your home’s landscaping is covered in the event of a major damage event. But does your homeowners insurance provide this coverage? Here’s what you need to know about your landscaping and your home coverage.

  • Removal of Damaged Trees, Shrubs, and Other Plants

A standard homeowners insurance policy will not offer coverage for your land. However, your policy might cover the removal of plants that have been damaged due to certain covered hazards—such as fire, lighting, explosions, theft, or vehicles. Please keep in mind that you only have coverage for the removal of damaged plant life. You will have to replace damaged plants on your own.

  • Fallen Trees

Homeowners insurance offers coverage for fallen objects. This means that, if a tree were to fall and damage your home, then your policy would offer coverage to repair these damages as well as to haul away the fallen tree. Additionally, your insurance will cover the cost of removing fallen trees that block your driveway or wheelchair ramp. However, if a tree falls and does not damage your home or block off your property, then your insurance will likely not offer coverage for removal.

  • Dead or Dying Trees

If a dead or dying tree were to fall and damage your home, then your insurer might not offer you coverage for repairs or removal. This is because a diseased or rotting tree isn’t considered a sudden hazard. Rather, it is characterized as negligence on the homeowner’s part. To ensure that dying trees do not threaten your home, it’s a good idea to have a professional stop by periodically to check the condition of the trees on your property.

  • Securing Additional Coverage

Because your homeowners insurance only offers limited coverage for your landscaping, you can ask your insurer about securing alternative forms of coverage. Some insurance providers offer yard and garden endorsements which would extend your homeowners insurance to cover your trees, shrubs, plants, and lawn equipment. So, speak to your agent to learn about your coverage options.

This is what you need to know about landscaping and your homeowners insurance. Do you have additional questions regarding your home coverage? If so, then contact the team at Robert J. Los Insurance Agency in Hamburg, New York. We are ready to assist you with all your home insurance needs today.

Robert J. Los Insurance Agency

Robert J. Los Insurance Agency

Address: 4167 Legion Drive,
Hamburg, NY 14075

Phone: (716) 648-6100
Toll Free: (800) 747-0780
Fax: (716) 648-6104

Office Hours:
Monday-Thursday, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM

We Look Forward to Serving You!

Request a Quote

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Translator Plugin